Sunday, February 5, 2012

How I Got My Bike: A Trek 7100 Hybrid

My bike is a 2011 Trek 7100 Hybrid.  I've had her since October.  I credit last year's Mac race, Uptown Bikes in Chicago, and my sailor's frugality for ending up with this bicycle.

My goal for buying a bicycle was simple:  Use transportation for exercise.  I wanted to run errands and even occasionally commute the 8 miles (one way) to my office.  The requirements were:

  • Something comfortable to ride.  My other bike, a mid-1990's Specialized Hard Rock Ultra mountain bike, is fun to ride but not comfortable for more than a few miles.  I didn't want something that would put too much pressure on my wrists and shoulders.  If it was painful, I wouldn't ride.
  • Something durable and able to handle some trails and rough city streets.  I don't ride down mountains or through forests, but I envisioned myself on the occasional dirt path (and have since I got the bike).  Chicago city streets are pretty rough so the tires shouldn't be too thin or high pressure.  Some suspension would be nice for comfort.
  • Price sensitive.  I didn't want an expensive piece of equipment sitting unused if I didn't ride as often as I planned to.  Bike theft is a also risk of living in the city so I wanted something I could afford to have stolen.  

I knew cycling could be comfortable after renting a comfort bike on Mackinac Island after the 2011 Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac (read about the race on my Sail Donnybrook blog).  I read about ways to make a mountain bike more like a hybrid so I took it to Uptown Bikes to see if they could raise the handle bars or do something else to make it more like a hybrid.

They gave it a quick check-up--it was in good shape--and estimated $180 to raise the handlebars to where I wanted them.  It was so expensive because I needed new cables and other parts to move the handlebars.  They then told me they did not recommend having the work done because I most likely wouldn't be happy with how it would handle.  The bike fit me as a mountain bike (19.5 inches) but because of my size (I'm 6'4") I needed a much larger road/hybrid bike.  They showed me some of the hybrids they carry, starting at around $500, but didn't try to sell me something I was not ready to buy.

Thank you, Uptown Bikes, for looking out for the customer!

My sailor's frugality kicked in next.  As much as I wanted a new bicycle, I didn't want to spend $500+ on something that might end up collecting dust or in the hands of a bike thief.  I shopped around, did a lot of internet research, checked Craig's list and eBay, but didn't find something that I thought would make me happy for the price.  Finally, a colleague suggested I look at some of the bike rental shops and their end of year sales.

I went to Bike Chicago's web page and researched all the bikes available on the 2011 Bike Sale list.  I took my short list to the Millennium Park location after work and rode home with a used 2011 22.5" (XL) Trek 7100 for $211.  The price included bell, kick-stand, and a complete tune-up.

I was so excited!  I commuted home by bicycle for the first time, ever!  I've since put around 400 miles on her and, last week, commuted round trip 3 days!

Pros:  Meets all of the requirements above.

Cons:  Heavy, but not a factor in Chicago where it is very flat.

Other:  I can see growing into more of a road/touring bike, but for the price and how I use it, the Trek is perfect for today.

I  have other observations about the bike and equipment I'll write about in future posts, but I'm completely satisfied with my current bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment