Sunday, February 5, 2012

First Post: Why This Blog?

While working on this blog's description (currently "Experience of a middle-aged man learning to commute by bicycle and his interest in developing a healthy and fit lifestyle to improve his quality of life") I asked my wife if I'm really middle aged.  Karen's answer, without hesitation, was yes.  Curious about what middle aged means, I Googled Middled Aged.  


Wikipedia's definition starts by saying Middle age is the period of age beyond young adulthood but before the onset of old age.  My definition of getting old is that you're old when you stop doing the things you did when you were young.


My biggest fear of old age is loss of health, fitness, and not being able to do the things I want to do--the things I did when I was young.  Exercise is the best way to do this.  How do I find time to exercise with the demands of a career, two boys (4 and 6 years old), a sailboat (see www.saildonnybrook.com), and everything else in my life?


Enter the bicycle!  I live 8 miles from my office.  Why not ride every day?


This blog will be about my new-found love for cycling, what I'm learning about health and fitness, and developing a new lifestyle designed to make each year ahead of me better than my first 42!

No comments:

Post a Comment